E-Commerce Presents Major Challenges to Cost Control
- Last mile delivery continues to redefine standard shipping strategies. More complicated supply chains include changing last mile delivery options. Instead of stale, just-leave-on-porch (JLOP) delivery, consumers can have products delivered, installed, and set up. The process grows even more complicated when you also consider the removal of old products, such as appliances and furniture.
- Inability to track shipments past movement scans. Another problem derives from the limited visibility within global supply chains. While scanning products during touchpoints is excellent, it still leaves room for error. For instance, “out for delivery” can mean a product delivery is within an eight-hour range, which lessens the customer experience.
- Use analytics. Analytics help shippers identify inefficiencies and predict performance.
- E-commerce generates a larger customer base, creating new opportunities to attract and retain customers. While beneficial, this means an increased demand on the supply chain, amplifying risk along the way.
- Eliminate errors with robust training. Providing proper training to your staff reduces the risk of human errors and reduces pushback from employees against change.
- Poor e-commerce returns insights. Poor returns management creates another issue in the realm of e-commerce. Returns management is integral as up to 30% of e-commerce purchases result in returns, so any failure in returns management naturally leads back to higher freight spend.
MultiModal Shipping Works Perfectly With E-Commerce
Tips for Using Multi-Modal Shipping in E-Commerce Logistics
- Create the right team
- Set realistic, clear goals
- Refocus your shipping strategy
- Implement and measure
- Continuously improve
- Limit product packaging
- Track add-on charges
- Continuously re-evaluate shipping practices
- Have a system that can support shipping between various modes so you may compare rates in real-time, build loads optimally, and provides visibility into the status of all shipments at all times.