What is Carrier Management?
Carrier management is the process of overseeing and controlling the activities, costs, and performance of companies that provide the conveyance of goods, people, or services.
Carrier Management in Transportation
Primary areas of carrier management in transportation include carrier performance scorecards, contract and rate management, and claims management.
Transportation modes (road, air, ocean, rail) often require logistics carrier management activities specific to the transit method.
- Ocean Carrier Management for freight moved in cargo containers by ocean-going vessels, often internationally.
- Carrier Management in Trucking manages and monitors shipments moving by full truckload or less-than-truckload (LTL).
- Parcel Carrier Management ensures shippers utilize the best small parcel carrier based on the shipment and contracted carriers.
- Final Mile Management in the difficult final phase of a freight shipment’s transportation to a final destination, often requiring diverse delivery service levels.
Carrier Management Systems
Carrier management systems are a piece of the overall transportation management system (TMS) platform. For shippers, a carrier management system:
- Allows users to manage carrier performance and benchmark it against commitments.
- Tracks each shipment against delivery commitments and then reports on performance.
- Empowers users to manage the entire shipment life cycle from order management, carrier selection, and tracing through financial settlement and reporting.
Multi-carrier Management Software
Multi-carrier management solutions give parcel shippers access to a wide range of transportation carriers and services in one technology platform.
MercuryGate TMS Carrier Management
- SaaS-based Management System
Control user access for individuals or teams to manage carriers from any location.
- Automatically Qualify Carriers
Vet and qualify transportation providers to minimize risk at the carrier and load level.
- Communicate via Carrier Portal
Seamlessly interact with carriers without expensive APIs or EDI.
- Create Carrier Contracts
Obtain carrier rates and generate contracts to streamline carrier selection for mini-bids or short-term contracts.
- Model New Carrier Contracts
See how new contracts and carrier relationships can improve throughput.
- Multimodal Optimization and Visibility
View and manage all assets across all modes and carriers to ensure a positive customer experience.