Freight optimization ensures that a shipment is transported in the most efficient means at the expected service level.
What is freight optimization?
Freight optimization ensures that a shipment is transported in the most efficient means at the expected level of service.
What is Freight Optimization? Transportation Modes
Shippers can move freight by ground transportation (full truckload (TL), less-than-truckload (LTL), parcel), rail, air, or intermodal, or internationally by air and ocean. Not every mode is appropriate for every freight shipment.
What is Freight Optimization? Transportation Cost
This allows for cost optimization measures such as improved load planning, load consolidation, pooled shipments, and advanced routing. Reducing the number of overall shipments and moving fuller loads ultimately creates cost savings.
What is Freight Optimization? Transportation Service
When customer expectations for delivery service take priority over cost, freight optimization measures ensure that a shipment is delivered on time, in-full, and as expected, regardless of mode or expense.
What is Freight Optimization Software?
Freight optimization software helps shippers choose the best mode, carrier, rate, and route to meet their needs. Multimodal freight optimization software compiles and analyzes supply chain data to find performance gaps and identify the best transportation options based on cost and service requirements. These options can include alternatives for modes, routes, providers, rates, or services.
Multimodal Freight Optimization
Multimodal freight optimization combines multiple shipping modes to move cargo from Point A to Point B as safely, quickly, and affordably as possible. This includes organizing and planning multi-mode shipments and handoffs. Each mode used for any delivery supports the movement of freight to its final destination in a logical and manageable way.
How MercuryGate Supports Freight Optimization
MercuryGate TMS optimizes freight transportation across the entire network. Capabilities span from basic load consolidation and pooling to more complex optimization strategies addressing inbound, outbound, and return shipments.
- All-mode rating offers a comprehensive view of market rates across modes, multimodal changes, and service levels.
- Equipment utilization identifies correct equipment for every load to control cost and improve sustainability.
- Dynamic rerouting factors changes and adjusts routes for individual drivers without impacting existing delivery ETA.
- Advanced reporting capabilities help users understand and track performance of their networks to identify gaps or improvement opportunities.
- Street-level optimization considers “what-if” scenarios to determine the best transportation moves from the first mile through the last.
These freight optimization planning and execution capabilities give shippers resources to source capacity quickly, manage that capacity, onboard carriers, rate, optimize, execute and analyze every load to reveal the next best option.