What is a Load Board?
- Load matching
- Credit information/days to pay
- Message boards
- Ability to make notes on shippers/carriers
- FMCSA verification
- Finance of pre-approved loads using factoring
- Mobile access
How a Load Board Works
A load board simply helps to connect shippers with carriers. The shipper will post to the load board any available freight they have along with what equipment is needed to move the freight and any other pertinent information. The carrier can then search the load board to find freight options available for them to carry.
In the end both parties, shipper and carrier, benefit from using a load board. The carrier gets to fill an idle truck with a freight load and the shipper is able to move their freight.
Benefits of Load Boards
- Convenient & Efficient: A load board is easily accessed wherever internet is available. Both shippers and carriers can access the load board from their computers or mobile devices. Load boards are available 24/7, so no matter when you look, the load board is available with the most up-to-date information.
- Easy to Use: Load boards are easy to use. They require little to no technical knowledge. All you have to do is create an account and log in to view the loads available.
Types of load boards:
- Traditional Load boards: These load boards are traditional forums that allow freight brokers, shippers, and truckers to share information on loads, capacities, and destination.
- LTL Load Boards: LTL stands for “Less than truckload.” This acronym applies to any freight that isn’t large enough to full a trailer on its own, and so will likely be lumped with other freight. A term one can often find associated with LTL is “hotshot,” which is synonymous with LTL when referring to freight but can be used to describe a smaller truck that is employed with other trailers on a ‘for hire’ basis.
- Misc Loads: Miscellaneous loads are anything that don’t fall into either of the above categories. These are generally very unconventional loads like livestock or boats that a trucking company can easily find a niche in.