Total Cost of Ownership
A TMS Lowers Transportation Total Cost of Ownership
Best Practices for Deploying Your TMS to Keep TCO in Check
- Recognize trends within the industry and implement processes within the TMS to leave room for customized workflow management.
- Leverage the latest technology to track and manage shipments, utilizing algorithms, and big data analytics to understand how reroutes and changes to loads will impact profitability and customer experiences.
- Take advantage of vendor-provided training and resources to encourage the adoption of a TMS throughout your entire enterprise.
- Use key performance indicators (KPIs) and metrics to enable around-the-clock planning and management of freight.
- Connect assets within your organization to the Internet of Things (IOT), enabling the tracking and aggregation of the real-time data.
- Eliminate uncertainty with the use of a cloud-based TMS, putting the responsibility of managing the system and ensuring its optimum performance in the hands of a third party, such as MercuryGate.
- Never spend the full transportation budget at once, allowing for flexibility to handle changes in shipment details, schedule fluctuations, variations in the forecast, and more.
- Consider the indirect cost savings from TMS implementation too, such as increased employee retention, reduced customer complaints, and lower carrying costs.