Even in the best of times, freight hauling contracts are a diverse and varied aspect of freight transportation and management. Today, spot freight and contract freight arrangements are the most common between shippers and carriers.
As spot freight and contract rate indexes are climbing, increasing as much as 4% year over year reports Transport Topics, freight contracts persist as a cornerstone of capacity management and procurement. The rates and terms specified in spot and annual contracts set the standards for shipping services, rates, and fees. These agreements can significantly impact bottom line profits or losses.
The Challenges of Managing Spot Freight Versus Contract Freight Sourcing
The difficulties of communication, rate variability, market volatility, and shifting consumer demands make it challenging to manage freight matching without the right setup and tools in place.
Using a TMS Creates Insight Into Freight Hauling Contract Rates
The truckload market is cyclic and constantly changing, which is why an advanced TMS system helps supply chain management dial in on current cycles and trends that directly impact pricing and freight hauling rates.
Additional Benefits of Working With a TMS to Manage Both Spot and Contract Freight
- Better Capacity Management – faster collaboration and management of critical tasks.
- Access to Reliable Rates – access to real-time freight rates helps keep costs lower.
- Faster Response to Availability – capitalize on bids and offers before they disappear.
- More Streamlined Management – efficiency increases throughout the entire network.
- Improved Response to Disruptions – practical responses when problems arise in shipping.
- More Reliable Communications – have access to team members anytime, anywhere.
- Automated Tracking and Monitoring – real-time notifications and ETA updates.
- On-Demand Status Reporting – gain customer-focused responses to status reports.
- Fewer Claims and Complaints – better visibility lowers risks for freight claims and fees.
- Greater Flexibility in Volatile Markets – the ability to quickly scale and shift focus.
- Enhanced Response to Customer Needs – optimized and personalized customer service.
- Increased Profits and Lower Expenses – better predictive planning across the network.
- Overall Improved Business Processes – better day-to-day operations within the company.
Get More Insight Into Your Contract and Spot Freight Costs With a World-Class TMS
While it is smart to diversify the number and types of clients and contract types, more contracts mean more challenges for management. Freight modality optimization and contractual diversity make it easier for shippers to maintain clear insight into shipping rates and costs.
Contact MercuryGate today for a free demo and learn more about freight hauling contract management with a world-class TMS platform designed to help shippers manage spot freight and contract freight costs.