With the continued instability of recovering markets and nationwide reopening, the need for reliable and efficient exception management remains critical for supply chains everywhere. This has put more pressure and strain on existing platforms and tech stacks. It has also amplified the need for a supply chain control tower approach that focuses on providing visibility needed to take a proactive approach to contract and spot rate collaborations.
Though higher than in previous years, truckload spot rates are still lower than their usual price swings in advance of peak season, according to FreightWaves. The 7-day dry van rate sits at $4.06 per mile, but the whole situation is a powder-keg. A slight disruption could send rates to the moon.
A well-rounded supply chain control tower minimizes these disruptions, improves response time, and ensures better management of exceptions when they do occur. At the heart of it all is the need for a renewed focus on supply chain and transportation visibility.
What Is a Supply Chain Control Tower?
This supply chain approach provides a distinct advantage because shippers can more easily make decisions when fulfilling orders or planning phases of shipping. A thorough control tower setup makes the end-to-end process much more manageable.
- Preconfigured controls with custom modules, reports, etc.
- Enhanced pickup and delivery scheduling management.
- Next event estimates to stay informed and on track.
- Advanced notice of possible disruptions and obstacles.
- Better supply chain visibility to enhance communication.
How a Single Control Tower Enables Proactive Supply Chain Management
- Single source of truth and information about supply chain status and marketing.
- Instant visibility and insight into proactive exception management options.
- Proactive management and response concerning disruptions through automation.
- Dynamic rerouting to deal with real-time adjustments and changing route needs.
- Data-driven workflows aimed at increasing network efficiency of throughput.
- Real-time tracking, status updates, and push notifications for all involved parties.
Gain Control Over Your Full Supply Chain With the MercuryGate TMS
A supply chain control tower does not simply provide a static report or printout of data points and disparate information bits. A successful control tower lets managers and team members see shipments in real-time in a mutually-accessible platform or interface. Supply chain optimization becomes more than just a goal or target. It becomes a reality.