Multi-stop is a transportation move that requires cargo activities in addition to pick-up at the origin and delivery at the final destination. Activities along a multi-stop route could include extra pick-ups and/or deliveries. Multi-stop routes are integral to last-mile delivery, utilizing either less-than-truckload (LTL) power and trailers or parcel service multi-stop trucks.
At the same time, shippers using multi-stop load planning can consolidate freight shipments for customers along a single lane to increase visibility and reduce costs and environmental impact.
Types of Multi-Stop Routes in Freight Transportation
A multi-stop route uses a single service provider and equipment to complete these types of freight movements:
Single Pickup, Multiple Drop: Shipments picked up at a single origin and dropped off at multiple locations.
Multiple Pickup, Single Drop: Multiple shipments picked up at different origins and delivered to a single location.
Multiple Pickup, Multiple Drop: Multiple pickups and deliveries.
What is a multi-stop route planner?
A multi-stop route planner is a tool that allows the user to map routes between multiple destinations and optimize for variables such as time, gas, delivery time windows, and others considerations. Delivery route planning software with a multi-stop route builder enables dispatchers or drivers to plan a journey and dynamically reroute the multi-stop trip based on changes in traffic or delivery service needs.
Benefits of a Multi-Stop Route Optimizer
- Better time management: Account for pick up and receiving delays automatically as the system continuously adjusts delivery windows based on the latest information.
- Better use of resources: Reduce time spent manually dispatching loads and planning routes. Find cost savings by reducing miles and fuel consumption.
- Better communication: Communicate in real time between dispatchers, drivers, and customers when a change occurs.
- Better service: Optimize multi-stop routes across all modes to ensure on-time, in-full deliveries.
How MercuryGate TMS Supports Multi-stop Transportation
Technology tools specifically focused on managing transportation can offer a broad platform of capabilities that shippers, logistics services providers, and 3PLs can use to support strategies that rely on multi-stop routes. MercuryGate’s TMS supports multi-stop planning and execution in the following ways:
- Dynamic routing technology reduces multi-stop route planning significantly and improves service and driver productivity. Support rapid response to exceptions and streamline workflows and communications with a single system of record.
- Load planning capabilities prepare the best possible plan for multi-stop movements and priority loading. Use extensive stacking configurations to minimize the risk of damage in transit and perform load build optimization for volume discounts and incentives.
- Dynamic rerouting in the last mile assesses current routes and optimizes future stops to avoid wasted time and resources. Multi-stop route changes occur automatically, communicated to drivers and customers to support a better delivery experience.
- Street level optimization combines real-time weather, traffic, and other transportation conditions with predictive planning to provide updated multi-stop driving directions that reduce delivery failures and protect the customer experience.
- Transportation network modeling helps determine the best carriers and the most cost-effective lanes and modes. Simulation and ongoing model optimization ensure the latest volume, traffic, weather, and circumstances are considered in route planning.